The search for 37-year-old surfer Steven Payne, who was killed in a shark attack on Monday, has been officially suspended in Western Australia. Payne was surfing at Wharton Beach when the attack occurred, with witnesses, including his girlfriend and a drone operator, observing the harrowing event.
At the time of the attack, Payne was in chest-deep water. While the only piece of evidence recovered was his surfboard, which showed clear bite marks, authorities have confirmed that the search has transitioned from a rescue mission to a recovery operation.
Senior Sergeant Christopher Taylor of the Western Australia Police Force confirmed the shift, stating that the focus has now turned to recovering Payne’s body. “This is now a recovery, not a rescue,” he said.
Payne’s family has released a statement describing him as a “gentle giant” who was deeply loved by his family and friends. “Steve was one of the best. A gentle giant at 6ft4 (193cm), he was smart, kind, funny, laid back, and very practical. While he wasn’t a man of many words, he loved his partner deeply, cherished his family, thought the world of his best mates, and was devoted to his dog.”
Originally from New Zealand and based in Melbourne, Payne had been traveling across Australia for six months with his girlfriend and dog when the attack occurred.
Sergeant Taylor also discussed the drone footage captured during the attack, noting that it clearly depicted the traumatic event. “It shows a lot of blood, the shark, and other details that are too graphic to share,” he said. “This footage is primarily for experts, such as the coroner, who will determine the type and size of the shark involved.”
This tragic incident marks the latest in a series of shark attacks in Western Australia. Earlier this year, 28-year-old Lance Appleby was fatally attacked while surfing at Granites Beach on the Eyre Peninsula.
Our thoughts are with Steven Payne’s family and loved ones during this difficult time.