Former World No. 2 surfer Julian Wilson, who has been on a four-year hiatus, is set to return to competition in 2025, thanks to wildcard entries granted by the World Surf League (WSL).
Wilson, a 36-year-old Australian, has been a notable figure in the surfing world, winning the Vans Triple Crown, becoming a Pipe Master, and finishing as the 2018 World Surf League Championship runner-up. After stepping away from the tour in 2021 due to pandemic-related travel restrictions and the pressures of family life, Wilson is now ready to make his return.
In a statement, Wilson explained that his decision to take a break was not taken lightly. “The constraints of traveling internationally during the pandemic, especially with the birth of my second child, put a lot of pressure on me and my family. It was all too much mentally, so I made the decision to step away,” he said.
Since then, Wilson has focused on family and launched an apparel company, Rivvia Projects, named after his first two children. However, despite stepping away from competitive surfing, he never officially retired. Now, after a brief period of reflection and adjustment, Wilson has confirmed his intent to return to the World Surf League’s Championship Tour (CT).
On Wednesday, the WSL announced that Wilson would receive wildcard entries for all five events in the 2025 Challenger Series (CS). His first event will be the Burton Automotive Newcastle SURFEST presented by Bonsoy, taking place at Merewether Beach from June 2-8. This marks his first official WSL contest since a 2023 QS event in Newcastle.
“I’m a competitor at heart and I’ve really missed performing at the highest level,” Wilson said in the WSL press release. “I feel like I’m ready to take on the challenge again. I’m excited to get these wildcard spots with the goal of returning to the Championship Tour and competing against the world’s best once again.”
The wildcard entries effectively bypass a year of qualifying for Wilson, allowing him to jump straight into the Challenger Series. To secure a spot on the 2026 Championship Tour, he will need to finish in the top 10 at the end of the 2025 CS season, which concludes in Brazil in October.
Wilson, who won five CT events during his 10-year career, is known for his versatility, with victories at iconic locations including Pipeline, Snapper Rocks, Peniche, Hossegor, and Teahupo’o. His impressive list of achievements is further complemented by his contributions to surfing culture through video parts in films like Scratching the Surface, Lost Atlas, Stranger Than Fiction, and various others. His ability to balance competition with creative expression is one of the key factors that has set him apart in the surfing community.
WSL Senior Manager of Tours and Competition, Travis Logie, expressed enthusiasm about Wilson’s return. “His contribution to the sport over the last two decades is immense, and the level at which he is still surfing made it an easy decision when he approached us for a wildcard,” Logie said. “It was a shame to see him walk away when he did, but to have him back on tour will only elevate the level of competition. We’re excited to see what he brings to the 2025 Challenger Series.”
Wilson’s return marks a new chapter in his career, as he aims to recapture the magic that once made him one of the most formidable surfers in the world. Fans and competitors alike will be watching closely as he embarks on his comeback journey in 2025.